Subject: [Leica] My M8 is ready to ship
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Tue Jan 23 23:35:37 2007

Jim,
welcome back. Well, the M8 handles in a very similar way to the M
cameras in general. Some people don't like the noise of the advance,
but its not bad. Dust cleaning seems easier than an SLR: the sensor
is easier to get to, but it is probably not as "simple" as the DMR.
Image quality is not as good as the top of the line Canons in a
number of ways, but it seems to be accepted that it at least falls in
to the high quality levels. I suspect leica have a way to go with the
fine tuning of WB etc but firmware changes will probably help that.
IFFF using IR filters to help the colour correction upsets you don't
buy the M8. It is my belief that the IR filter will help the WB and
other colour issues, but if you won't use one I'd wait before
committing.

My camera was on the first boat, and performed very well prior to
Christmas, when Leica called it home for a tune up: It is still not
back, and I have to admit to becoming a bit pevved at the delay. It
does not look like I will see it in January :-( BUT I did like the
way it handled, and the TriElmar was a wonderful match with the body.

If you want to use your M lenses, want to give away film and go
digital and like the handling of the M, you will not have another
choice for quite some time: that is, in the end, why I bought it now,
so that I could get the most use of it while it was useful. I do not
believe Leica will bring out an M9 or significant new M digital
camera for at least 5 years. If you can wait that long then keep
using film

Cheers