Subject: [Leica] binoculars - looking for assistance
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Jan 18 18:22:19 2007

Eric,
Traditionally birding binoculars need to be at the long end of what you can
hold to your eyes for minutes at a time with out eye fatigue due to hand
shake.  For most people that is in the 8X area.  People with steady hands
will go up to 8X and those with a coffee habit might have to go down to 6X.
Next, you want the brightest pair you can carry around your neck without
breaking it.  Birds tend to hang out in nice safe dark places so you need
the best light gathering you can get.  So, traditionally birders use
something like an 8X40 pair or even something like a 7X50.  Divide the
numbers and the closer you get to 7 the better for you; the human eye can
open up to about 7mm so if the cone of light coming out of the binoculars is
7mm or more then you are getting all that your eye can see.

Wide field is nice but generally you already know where to look so paying
extra for wide field is not especially important unless you want to survey
the field to find the pheasant you want to shoot.  :)

Ok, the last thing that is important to birders is the ability to focus
close, sometimes you are in a blind and the birds come really close.  If you
can't focus then what is the point.

If you want to spend as little as possible but retain great quality then
look at the various Pentax offerings.  Their DCF line is the current top for
them.  Marc's comment about the Russian binoculars will get you a very good
pair at little money.  The Canon IS binoculars are very good to extremely
good so take a look at them.  At the top I would favor the Leicas as they
focus closer and are superb; you might find some deals with a google search
as Leica cut some distribution channels when they had money problems and
some dealers marked them down a whole lot to move them on out.

Last, you really have to look through a pair to determine if they are right
for you.  Go to a good dealer(might be a gun shop) and find a dark corner
that might be 5 yards away.  Look through each pair and see which resolves
best for you in the dim light.  Do the binoculars adjust to your eyes and is
their use intuitive to you?  It took me a long time to get used to a pair of
Swarovski's as the diopter was in the front and not on the right lens.
Remember that unlike a camera lens, if your eyes tell you one pair is the
best then that is the best pair for you no matter who makes them.

Cheers, and binoculars are almost always an intergenerational purchase
because good ones stay good unless you have a gravity experiment.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com