Subject: [Leica] binoculars - looking for assistance
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Jan 18 12:56:34 2007

I own a shitload of binoculars, ranging from a
Zeiss 8x20 monocular to a pair of Russian
20x60's.  Most of my binoculars are Zeiss though
I own a really nice Wartime pair of Leitz
('blc')  6x30's which are great for birding.  I
also own an APO-Televid 77 Spotting Scope with
all of the eyepieces and a few larger telescopes.

The absolute, positive best glasses I own are
East German Zeiss, a pair of roof-prism 7x40
"Checkpoint Charlie" EDF's and a pair of Docter
10x40 Asphericals.  The latter went out of
production following Docter's death, but the
others are still available for around $500 or
so.  The earlier Porro-prism 7x40 DF's often
surface on eBay for around $300 and are, in
general, even better than the roof-prism
models.  Most of these come, incidentally, with
an IR reader which allows you to find out when
your neighbor is watching you with a sniperscope
and also have an artillery reticle so you can
call in a fire mission on his house to preserve
neighborhood security.  <he grins>

The upper-end Zeiss and Leica binoculars are
great but are quite expensive and the investment
has to be balanced against frequency of use.  I
have a couple of pair of new Zeiss glasses
including a very handy roof-prism 10x40 with a
decent close-focus.  I scored a pair of 6x42
marine glasses on remainder from Christopher's
when Zeiss dropped these a decade back, and those
and my CZJ 15x60's are the standard for
stargazing.  The older but still in production
Zeiss 10x40 Classic roof-prism binoculars
generally rate as the "second most wanted"
binocular in surveys of birders and I can see
why, as these are also a great pair of
binoculars.  Used ones can often be found on eBay for $300 or so.

Zeiss makes three different families of
binoculars now, Classic, Conquest, and
Victory.  The 7x,42 and 8x,56 Classic glasses are
the best-selling hunting binoculars in Europe and with good reason.

Swift has been mentioned.  I have owned Swift
binoculars and telescopes and spotting scopes for
more than 40 years and have never had occasion to
question their great quality.  The binoculars are
not up to high-end quality but they are still
quite good.  Swift used to give great service
when it was still headquartered in Boston --
several times when I called, the owner, Hob
Swift, answered the phone -- but the recent
division of the firm following Swift's death
seems to have reduced their responsiveness though
not the quality of service.  My standard
telescopes for casual stargazing are a 3.5"
quartz Questar -- and a 76mm Swift 731 telescope
dating from around 1961.  (I spent my teen-age
years lusting after both and it is great to find
out that my early dreams were for two really grand telescopes.)

The Soviets took a lot of gear from the Zeiss
works at Jena in 1945.  They also cleaned out the
Zeiss plant at Eisfeld, the production site for
binoculars, gunsights, and rangefinders (now the
principal Docter Optic plant).  The Soviets
established a production line for the CZJ 8x,30
Porro-prism binoculars and these remain in
production in Russia at several plants to this
day.  These are great glasses.  The modern
versions come with fully coated optics and can
often be found new for around $100 or less.  They
are light, optically superb, and have a nice,
bright, wide field of view.  Look on eBay for
"Tank Commander's Binoculars" and a bunch will
come up.  (I have a 3x-10x,30mm riflescope from
Arsenal in the Ukraine on my Mauser, and that is
one fine scope as well, from the guys who amused
us for so many years with the Kiev RF clones of
the Prewar Contax RF camera line.)

I've never been very impressed with the Canon IS
binoculars as I have found their optical
performance unacceptably poor, but then I can
handle a pair of fairly heavy 15x,60's reasonably
well.  A LOT of binocular use will accustom you
to learn how to view a steady image -- it IS a trick.  But the

I keep the Leitz 6x,30 and a pair of Zeiss 6x,30
glasses and a pair of CZJ 8x,30 and Russian
8x,30's at my desk to view the occasional bird or
squirrel frolicking in my yard or to watch my
neighbor working on his bomb-shelter to counter
the next artillery strike I call in on his
abode.  <neighborhood security again, he grins>

So what would I recommend?

High-end ($1200 to $1500)       Zeiss, Leica, Pentax, Docter
Middle-of-the-road ($700 to
$1200)      Swarovski, Optolyth, Leupold, Docter, Zeiss, Leitz, Nikon
Bottom-of-the-middle ($350 to $700)     Nikon, Swift, Canon

A good source for information on binoculars in
general and birding binoculars especially is
Better View Desired
<http://betterviewdesired.com/>  Generally
creditable information in an easily absorbed
format, though their dealer address sheet is at
least six years out of date I noted today.

I also have a small collection of the 8x,21mm
TURMON folding monocular, first introduced by
Carl Zeiss Jena in 1921 and still in production
today, surely a record rivaled only by Coleman
gas lanterns and Klepper folding kayaks for
longevity in the marketplace.  I even have a
knock-off made by Wray in the UK around 1947.  I
also have the complete set of diopter lenses for
these and the little itty-bitty light-table,
converted to 120v.  I either use this or my Swift
10x jeweler's loupe to review negatives.

Gotta love them bie-knock-you-lars, as they call them in Southside Virginia.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Message from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] binoculars - looking for assistance)