Subject: [Leica] M8 Love Noctilux or Nokton or Konica 21 - 35 f3.4 - 4.0
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Wed Jan 17 15:34:35 2007

On 18 Jan 2007, at 6:40 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 17:07:31 -0500
> From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] M8 love - Noctilux or Nokton?
> To: Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>
>
> On 1/17/07 3:54 PM, "Eric Korenman" <faneuil@gmail.com> typed:
>> Anyway..
>> The 50mm summicron (sadly) has moved from #1 lense to my #3.
>> The 35mm summicron has taken up permanent residence followed by a
>> Zeiss 25mm which hops on every now and then. Both produce splendid
>> results. Love the Zeiss focus ring with 'bump' tab.
>>
>> I have shelved the Noctilux dreams and would like to know if
>> anyone is
>> liking the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 Nokton on the M8?  50mm  with 1.33
>> crop is just too tight for me.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Eric
>
> I think a person who had Noctilux dreams now going digital would
> perhaps
> shift those dreams to the new superwide tri Elmar.
> THAT'S the SUPER lens to use with digital Leica.
>
> Taking your choice of 28-24-21-18-16
> The higher for digital.
> Maintain a film body for ultrawide
> F 4 is plenty fast enough for digital.
> And its not like you need the speed to help you focus on a
> groundglass.
>
> I'd think shooting and M8 with the new 28-24-21-18-16 tri Elmar
> (Penta Elmar
> in effect) a photographer would have an edge over the DSLR shooting
> hoards.
> Lowlight. Or otherwise.
> Another m8 outfit not so much.

Dear Mark and Eric,
You might also consider the Konica 21 - 35 as an alternative to the
16 18 21. I have one and it performs very nicely on the M8. The edges
of the viewfinder approximate the 21 view and the 35mm frameline is
always there - not bad - and no need for an external finder. The 21
and 35 are two very useful focal lengths for street shooting, in my
brief experience with the M8, and with the Konica you are faster as
you don't have to change lenses. Although not easy to find I expect
the 21 - 35 is a lot cheaper than a new 16 18 21. I agree that lens
aperture speed becomes less important when you can boost the ISO on
the M8 - 1250 is very usable but 2500 is not without more noise
tweaking than I have skill for.  My two cents
Cheers
Howard (in Hong Kong where it has turned cold and wet again )