Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 52: futile attempts at IR in the middle of winter
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Mon Jan 15 23:14:17 2007

Well done again Nathan, and a very enjoyable end to the 2006 year. I
will be interested to see where the "big" RF fits in your
photographic world in the next year or two. I have decided to stay
with b/w film because I still love working in the darkroom. As I
begin to re-organize my photographic "life", I have stayed with Leica
because for me it is cheaper to use the lenses I own rather than
start again, and by going with the Leica alternatives, I keep film
options. Thus trading in the R7 on the DMR/R9, and going with the M8,
takes me into the digital world and still allows me to use film if I
travel to Nepal etc. The point of this, is your choice of the RF
medium format. I have stayed with my Hasselblad (as I already own the
lenses), updating my older 2000 series to a 205. I have no idea if
this is a good decision, but I am learning that by using smaller
formats for so long, I have lost some of my "feel" for the bigger
negative. Firstly, there is the slower nature of the camera, the
noise, the limited number of frames, but the big learning curve has
to do with the DOF of the standard lens, which like a portrait lens
of the 35mm is shallow.

So I look at your efforts and see some of my struggle as well: there
seems to be a small format brain behind some of the images: Image one
is a bit of a "standard" image, but it loses out IMO against the same
image taken with say a 28mm lens, because the small DOF leaves the
moorings out of focus too quickly. This is despite the feeling of
wide angle distortion, which most of us would equate with large DOF.
It would have been more obvious with the foreground OOF.

Image two is a fine snap shot with a central subject: I always find
if I have been 'away' from RF's for too long, that the central
position of the focus patch leads me to place too much in the centre
of the frame, and I have to re-train myself to focus first then
frame. Again, does this subject "warrant" medium format?

Image three is exactly my problem at the moment. This is a street
life image taken with an open aperture no doubt, where the focus hits
the statue, but seems just off by the person and background, leaving
a very 'soft' effect. Nothing wrong, but not perhaps what we would
have seen from you before.

Image four we have seen before with 35mm, using quite wide angles.
Here the larger format seems to have worked for a very straight
forward landscape

Image five works for me: static moody subject, which is "naturally"
soft because of the mist. I find the nearby lamp a bit dominant, but
the subject matter lends itself to the camera and the fit shows ( at
least I think so)

Image six is a little bit of humor to record: not really warranting
the format:

Image seven works well despite the subject being more rapid fire
street photography, proving of course that you "can" use the Bronica
for decisive moment images, but -----

Image eight has a nice feel but lacks a "subject"

Image nine works for the same reasons at the rail yard: more static
type image with "graphic" form as its "subject".

I'm not sure you would be thinking the way I have. I'm in a very
"introspective" phase, trying to work out useful work flows and
fitting in my new digital options into what was really a very happy
existence that did not want the change. Digital to me 12 months ago
had replaced my snap shot camera, it has now replaced my higher end
colour cameras and perhaps it "should" replace my b/w work as well. I
shall remain stubborn for a while, but unless there is an improvement
with the 6 x 6 I should probably retreat to 35mm b/w work as well,
where I feel "safer".

Cheers