Subject: [Leica] Re: There's something about German design ...
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Jan 15 16:20:26 2007

At 06:54 PM 1/15/2007, Douglas Sharp wrote:
 >Hermann B?chner, (Erprobungsgruppe Nowotny, later Jagdgeschwader 7)
 >pilot of an ME262 had a confirmed kill  of a P-38 Lightning on 26
 >November 1944, in his next 19 sorties he shot down a confirmed further
 >11 enemy aircraft (types not recorded).

Are these claims accepted by anyone else?  What
was the airframe number of the P-38?  Does the USAF accept these claims?

Sadly, I believe that you already know the
answer:  the USAF does not nor do most aviation historians.

A confirmed kill means that the combat was
verified by others, and that the other side
confirmed the kill, and that the killed
aircraft's serial number can be confirmed.

Late WWII was a mess for this sort of thing, but
you ought to wander over and look at what is
still going on about air claims in Korea!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Re: There's something about German design ...)