Subject: [Leica] There's something about German design ...
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Jan 15 12:25:40 2007

At 11:08 AM 1/15/2007, GREG LORENZO wrote:

 >This is not corrrect, most German armor on the Western Front was put
 >out of action by air power (i.e. rocket firing Typhoons, etc.) and to
 >a lesser degree by anti-tank guns. A significant amount of German
 >equipment, including tanks was abandoned in perfect working condition
 >when the Germans retreated east after the battle of Falaise. Germany
 >had no effective airforce left to provide battlefield cover at this
 >point in the war and could only move effectively at night.
 >
 >This is also incorrect (except for the fact that Germany had no air
 >force to speak of at this point). German prop fighter aircraft were
 >just as good as allied aircraft. Their jet aircraft clearly superior.
 >They lacked trained pilots after 1942.
 >
 >World War II was won primarily on the Eastern Front by the **Soviet
 >Union**. This is summed up nicely by the author Charles B. MacDonald
 >in his book "World War II: The War Against Germany and Italy".
 >

 >On land, the Western Allies (primarily the USA) in WWII clearly won
 >the Pacific War against Japan. North Africa, Italy and Western Europe
 >were very much a side show in the fight against Germany. Strategic
 >bombing of German plants and cities and German occupied Europe and
 >naval actions excepted.

Greg

Well over 75% of the US military effort was
dedicated to the NATO/MTO/ETO, and 80% of ground
forces were stationed there.  The Pacific and
South-West Pacific and SEAC Theaters did not
require and did not receive large numbers of
ground forces until DOWNFALL, the invasion of the
Home Islands, became imminent, when it was
planned to move the First Army from the ETO and
the Fourth Army from the US to bolster the
existing Sixth, Eighth and Tenth Armies.

The German jets were duds.  To my knowledge, none
ever shot down an Allied fighter, though Allied
fighters shot down a number of ME-262's.  (The
ME-262's were fuel hogs with VERY short
legs.  So, when they sortied, Allied air just
flew about their air bases and had a turkey shoot
when they returned to refuel.)  So unimpressed
were the Allies that they did not bother to field
the first jet squadrons (Meteors and P-80's)
although several squadrons of each were ready for battle by FEB 1945.

German prop fighter aircraft were decent but VERY
dated by 1944, when the mainstay was still the
Bf-109G.  This was no match even in an even fight
against a later model of the Spitfire or a P-38
or P-47 or P-51.  The later developments of the
FW-190 were excellent and competitive aircraft
but were maintenance nightmares, expensive to
build, and difficult to operate, and there were
damned few of them around.  Note that the Germans
were unable to mount any sort of air attack
against OVERLORD in June, 1944, and things only went downhill from there.

What destroyed the German military was not
superior equipment but superior training and
doctrine.  The Allies constantly pulled
experienced pilots back from combat units to
train new pilots, while the Germans kept their
pilots in combat until they were wounded or
killed, and their training suffered
dramatically.  And the RAF noted in 1940 that the
Germans had adopted the tactic of flying high and
"bouncing" Allied aircraft, then diving to
escape:  the Luftwaffe strongly discouraged
dog-fighting.  The RAF adopted this policy under
Bader's tutelage, and they in turn sold the USAAF
on this doctrine.  Fly high, bounce the bad guys,
then dive and escape, and regain altitude.  The
late-war Allied fighter aircraft all were built with this in mind.

Recent statistical analyses have caused the
impact of air attack on German armor to be
downgraded significantly.  There is no question
that the Typhoons and P-47's took out a lot of
armor, but not on the order previously claimed by
the USAAF/USAF.  You are correct to note the
impact of ground guns.  The US Army had decided
to reduce its anti-aircraft forces by early 1944
and effectively closed down its AA training
base.  Following OVERLORD, the field commanders
in the ETO came to appreciate the virtues of the
90mm AA gun as a can-opener, and AAA training was
ramped up again and dramatically.

But the big killer of German armor in northern
Europe were Allied tanks and TD's.

MacDonald was an excellent author but, other than
his personal reminiscence, COMPANY COMMANDER, his
works have long ago been superseded by later
research and studies.  Come over to H-War and
post your statements there and see the wealth of scholarship revealed!

The Soviet Union did a job on the Germans but the
modern view is that the Allies had to keep the
pressure on in western Europe to prevent the
Germans from fixing a defensive line which would
have been able to hold.  In other words, the
Soviet efforts were necessary for OVERLORD to
succeed but, then, OVERLORD was necessary to
allow the Soviets their massive gains in the summer of 1944.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO) ([Leica] There's something about German design ...)