Subject: [Leica] There's something about German design ...
From: wrs111445 at yahoo.com (Bill Smith)
Date: Mon Jan 15 02:35:09 2007

Tragically--the Shermans had the nickname of "Ronson lighters" due to their
tanks full of gasoline fuel.

Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@gmx.de> wrote:  The Germans had plenty of time
to develop their tanks before WWII
started - if you look at what the allies had when it started, there were
only light tanks such as the US M2 and medium tanks such as the British
Valentine, and the Poles met the first German tank incursions with
cavalry and tin-pot Vickers light tanks. The French had machines like
the Renault FT-17 and the Char B1 bis that were still straight out of WWI.

The Sherman was indeed an excellent development, even better when
up-armoured and with HVVS suspension, although the US turret guns left
quite a bit to be desired, hence the Australian Firefly version and the
British development of the M7 HMC (Priest) as the Sexton using the
superb 25-pounder. The later US 105mm gun was a definite improvement
over the 75mm.
The British stayed in this WW I design rut for a long time, and carried
on building complex (and slow) machines like the A22 Churchill and
various Cruiser (e.g. Covenanter) and so-called infantry tanks (e.g.
Churchill), before building the successful cruisers, Cromwells and
Crusaders, culminating in the A34 Comet which was considered to be on a
par with the Panther, ,but saw little service. It was at least stationed
in post-war Berlin before the Centurions (probably the first true MBT)
were introduced.

The Sherman variants were very good throughout WWII and later they even
became a mainstay of Israeli forces until the decision was taken to
replace them with British Centurion (later locally modified as the Ben
Gurion) and US Patton tanks - before they started building their tanks
from scratch - and very successfully too (Merkava).
Even the German post-war Bundeswehr was equipped with a number of M7
HMCs (Sherman based self-propelled guns) as a part of their first
armoured division equipment.

Heavy tanks, in the same class as the Tiger I and K?nigstiger (Tiger
II) were not introduced in the allies until the very last days of WWII,
e.g. the Centurion. Motorised allied heavy artillery in the form of the
M-40 on an HVVS suspension (very late, if at all used in combat -
reports differ ) and the M12, mounting 155mm or an 8-inch naval gun on a
M4 chassis, played only a very limited role towards the end of the war -
e.g. the attack on Cologne.

The Black Prince heavy tank (A43 Super-Churchill) and the A39 Tortoise
heavy assault tank more or less died on the drawing boards of the
British army.
The US Army started to develop tanks to follow the Sherman (M4) under
the name of T20 to T23 and actually built two prototypes of the T28/T95,
a strange double tracked 85 or 95-ton beast with a low slung turretless
gun (assault tank or tank destroyer). These projects were all
discontinued before entering production.

On the basis of the number of variants, the German Panzer III and Panzer
IV could possibly be seen as equivalents to the Sherman, fast to
produce, reasonably simple to service and quite reliable. The true
masters of the heavy tanks and SPGs were the Soviets, the simplicity of
their suspension (only a few were built with Christie type chassis -
which the British loved) was built on years of success with tracked
agricultural tractors for the worst terrains and weather conditions
imaginable. The Russians were also quite well up on German tank
developments - during the Hitler-Stalin Pact years they had more than
enough opportunity to see what the Germans were doing right - and wrong.

Douglas