Subject: [Leica] Giving up Palm (was Mac vs. PC)
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Sun Jan 14 07:41:43 2007

For phoning and short messaging only, any ten year old phone model will be
good enough, anyway.

Past week I accidentally dropped my Palm Treo 650 - since it's gone forever,
and it's the second Treo that passes this way (my 600 had the same faith
half a year ago).  Though I'm a very, very loyal Palm platform user since
the mid 90ies, I now gave it up for the following reasons:

- Treos too delicate, when dropped once = gone for shure
- Treos do not support UMTS, the actually fastest mobile phone protocol
(except Treo 750, but this one is not available without SIM/vodaphone-lock
in my country)
- Treos do no display swf (flash) movies (an issue for a flash designer like
me)
- Treos 600 and up do not support true touchscreen handwriting (like the old
Palms and Treos)
- Treo/PC syncing is quite slow
- Palm desktop application too clumsy, outdated.

I went for the Sony Ericsson m600i. It behaves like what I'd expect from a
Palm. Intuitive, simple, fast. It's significantly smaller, has UMTS, true
handwriting recognition (touchscreen for fingers and stick), displays swf
and mpeg, has a better display of word, excel, pdf documents, has a better
browser (Opera), better MP3 playing options (without the need to buy a
separate application like pTunes on the Palm), costs significantly less than
the Treo 750, synchronizes much faster. All in all it was a no brainer to
decide.

Good bye, Palm; nice to meet you. Hello, Symbian.

Didier

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Re: Mac vs. PC - again!)
Message from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Re: Mac vs. PC - again!)
Message from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Re: Mac vs. PC - again!)