Subject: [Leica] There's something about German design ...
From: rmcclure2 at woh.rr.com (Rob McClure)
Date: Sun Jan 14 06:43:32 2007

I dunno.  I love well-engineered things as much as most (BMW, Omega,
Mont Blanc, etc.), but sometimes items can be over-engineered.  As an
example, our home came with a Clare Megasave furnace.  This is a
Canadian unit, quite unique to my Ohio location (the nearest dealer is
80 miles away).  Initially I had trouble with it failing to start and
my neighbor, a retired Westinghouse electrical engineer and mechanical
genius, came over to help.  The electronic controls were unbelievably
complex with all kinds of redundancy built in to meet the high
standards dictated by Canada, where severe winters can cause a
catastrophe in the case of furnace failure.  Unfortunately one of the
backup features was conflicting the circuit and keeping the furnace
from consistently starting.  He bypassed the backups and it has worked
perfectly these past 15 years.

Rob McClure

Replies: Reply from shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka) ([Leica] There's something about German design ...)
Reply from rdandcb at home.netspeed.com.au (Rick Dykstra) ([Leica] There's something about German design ...)