Subject: [Leica] Re: RF / SLR
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw)
Date: Sat Jan 13 08:46:05 2007

Ted:

Hear, hear!!!

Right on, Ted.

Bob

On Jan 13, 2007, at 8:18, Ted Grant wrote:

Here we go again with this cock a mammy nonsense why people buy Leica
because they just want them as jewellery. Bull shit! I suppose there's
some morons out there who do that, good on them having that kind of
income for toys and fancy bits of baubles. Hey in reality, I  and I bet
many of you, wish you had that kind of income for fun things, but then
that's me.

Quite frankly I've always bought Leica range finder cameras for such a
simple reason ..... "THEY ARE THE BEST TOOLS IN MY HANDS FOR THE KIND
OF DOCUMENTARY PHOTOGRAPHY I'VE ALWAYS DONE!" Approximately 50 years
plus, PERIOD! No other reason! Baubles be damned!!

Have they made a difference in the quality of my photography? You bet
yer sweet ass it has, just look through the books I've done (8)! Or
certainly the last 3 medical books, one a large coffee table issue.

Yes I agree the M8 is a big whack of money, unfortunately with some
glitches that "will be" worked out. Mean while all the bitching and
whining about the camera, particularly by people who've yet to have one
in their hands is ridiculous.  By the same token if yer not buying one,
then get stuffed and leave the subject alone until you can afford one.

Like Tina, I've had excellent success with the two I've worked with and
if all goes well as planned, shortly I'll be embarking on a new book
about medical students  shooting with 3 M8's no different than 3 M7's I
used shooting the award winning book  "Women in Medicine. A Celebration
of their Work."

And I expect them to work flawlessly! So what happens if one or all 3
develop something untoward good operation? Hell I'll just give them
back to Leica for fixing! Or replacement!!!

Yes I'll also be working with a couple of R8 motor driven machines as
well when required for a slightly extra reach. My gear is and has
always been nothing more than tools of the profession and worked hard
when I'm on the move much like a carpenter or any other tool using
folks.

But the bitching and carrying on about a new camera we believe was,
unfortunately put on the market too soon, shouldn't make one whit of a
difference to those who don't intend on buying one.

So get a life and use your present Leica gear or combinations of
digital and Leica glass or whatever. Get out taking pictures and stop
cluttering up the screen with "Bauble crap buying!"

Have a nice weekend! :-)

Thank you,
ted