Subject: [Leica] Re: RF / SLR
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Sat Jan 13 07:22:32 2007

On Jan 12, 2007, at 8:22 PM, Jayanand Govindaraj wrote:
> I think that you miss the point that there are not many of that
> species
> around, at least, not enough to fill Leica's coffers. Even Tina and
> Harrison
> agree that they would use a M8 in addition to their SLRs, and not
> replace
> them. Stop looking at it from your narrow point of view,

The narrow point of view seems to be yours Jayanand.
I've always had slrs to complement my M's.
As have Tina and Ted and many other M users.
I don't intend the M8 to "replace" my 5D, 20D, R8,
nor my Linhof Tech or Kardans, Deardorf, or Hasselblad.
I intend it complement the tools I have and work with my lenses
and M6's, which will become backups.

> and look at it from Leica's point of view.
> Selling a couple of dozen M8 cameras to members of
> this list will not make much difference in their fortunes. They
> have to go
> for a broader market, and hence the strategy to make this an iconic,
> fashionable buy.

My main concern is with photography and the tools that I use to
create visual images.
You seem hung up on price, market, number sold, fashion (or not), and
how it all plays out in a decade.
While I share a little bit of interest in Leica's point of view as
regards market strategy, it has nothing whatever
to do with the photographs that I create with my tools today, nor the
ones I create when my M8 arrives.

I don't know the numbers. But I feel fairly confident that Leica is
selling quite a few more than a "dozen" on this list

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com

Replies: Reply from harrison at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] Re: RF / SLR)