Subject: [Leica] Re: Camera prices
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Jan 11 10:26:54 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 11:19 PM, mehrdad wrote:

> Price is very deceiving these days, both a $20 times and $20k rolex
> tell the time and both very accurate, why do some people buy a rolex?
> the same is true about honda element (my favorite car) and a Porsche
> turbo, both take you place one costs 9 times more. i think price these
> days is more of a differentiator of class and not quality any more. by
> the way canon g7 is just awesome and in this list i talk about mostly
> about leica.

When the Leica camera was first marketed (1925-26), it became
successful, not because of its high photographic quality, but because
of its high price. At that time the Leica cost the average person
about a month and a half wages. Obviously few average photographers
could afford it. It became a fashion accessory for the elite just as
the Rolex watch. Every upward striving photographer aspired to dangle
a Leica around his neck to show that he had arrived. It was not until
the early 30s that 35 mm film improved to the point where the Leica
could be considered a useful photographic tool.

Leica history has come a full circle. A M8 costs about one and a half
months salary for the average person. Digital imaging in the sub full
frame size has not yet caught up to the best that can be achieved
with film. And Leica is still following the same 90 year old
marketing strategy.

Larry Z