Subject: [Leica] M8 Article in LFI
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Wed Jan 10 20:46:07 2007

> Price is very deceiving these days, both a $20 times and $20k rolex
> tell the time and both very accurate, why do some people buy a rolex?
> the same is true about honda element (my favorite car) and a Porsche
> turbo, both take you place one costs 9 times more. i think price these
> days is more of a differentiator of class and not quality any more. by
> the way canon g7 is just awesome and in this list i talk about mostly
> about leica.

Most of us hail from "days gone by", when you bought things quite
differently. Why any of us ever thought you could buy anything which would
last forever is beyond me. I remember when the Merc dealer told me that
the car would last 20 years: yes I said, but if I buy this car now, why on
earth would I be happy with it in 20 years, when the advances in
Technology will make it look like a  model T. That thinking was false,
just as the pressure to change things over every new model is false.
Computer gear and digital cameras are not yet "mature" but are beginning
to get there. Leica as a company decided with the DMR that they might be
able to create a usable tool at 10 megapixels that could justify the cost
of entry. If they continue to support the detachable back idea (and indeed
survive the next few years) the decision may be a good one.

I state again that for a small company, the production of a high end
digital is fraught with danger. I remain happy that they have taken the
risk, so we have

1. some choice
2. the fun of discussing it
3. the hope that the camera company and some of its tradition might survive.

Cheers

Message from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] M8 Article in LFI)
Message from msadat at gmail.com (mehrdad) ([Leica] M8 Article in LFI)