Subject: [Leica] M8 Article in LFI
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Wed Jan 10 12:02:26 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 1:46 PM, Didier Ludwig wrote:
> One choice? Two and half years before the M8 appeared, Cosina and
> Epson made the first digital rangefinder, the R-D1 (which btw has
> it's special merits in forcing Leica to concretise and speed up
> their M8 project). The R-D1 has flaws, adjustment and qc problems,
> too (and I'm really expert, mine travels more around from service
> to dealer to manufacturer than being in my hands), but it can
> easily stand a comparison with the M8 in terms of picture quality
> and noise at high ISO. Compare the pix on the links below.

I'm with you on this - I almost bought an R-D1 several times. tongue
firmly in cheek I didn't consider it when responding to BD's jibe
because I didn't think it met with his, " looked and felt like a film
M, nice bright viewfinder, solidly built, M lens mount, 10 mpg."
criteria; even though it did meet his unique "problems" criteria. ;^)

> The R-D1's problems are nevertheless not acceptable even if it
> costs a third of the M8 only. Only fools like you and me buy such
> crap :-)

And I may discover that the M8's problems are not acceptable. ;^) But
I have to foolishly discover that for myself.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com

Message from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] M8 Article in LFI)