Subject: [Leica] M8 Article in LFI
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Wed Jan 10 11:46:42 2007

Hi George

One choice? Two and half years before the M8 appeared, Cosina and Epson made
the first digital rangefinder, the R-D1 (which btw has it's special merits
in forcing Leica to concretise and speed up their M8 project). The R-D1 has
flaws, adjustment and qc problems, too (and I'm really expert, mine travels
more around from service to dealer to manufacturer than being in my hands),
but it can easily stand a comparison with the M8 in terms of picture quality
and noise at high ISO. Compare the pix on the links below.

The R-D1's problems are nevertheless not acceptable even if it costs a third
of the M8 only. Only fools like you and me buy such crap :-)

R-D1, ISO 1600, Summilux asph 35mm @ f1.4, RAW converted WITHOUT noise
reduction (WB and exposure adjustements only):
http://mogool.com/transfer/EPSN2667.jpg
100% crops: http://mogool.com/transfer/EPSN2667_crop.jpg
http://mogool.com/transfer/EPSN2667_crop2.jpg

Tina's M8 ISO 2500 crop:
http://tinyurl.com/uylam

....q.e.d.
Didier

>Ah. But alas. We have but one choice
>That useless piece of s**t that Solms gave us and which I ordered -
>fool that I am. - ;^)
>Regards,
>George Lottermoser
>george@imagist.com

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] M8 Article in LFI)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] M8 Article in LFI)
Message from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] M8 Article in LFI)