Subject: What makes an image - WAS Re: [Leica] PAW 49 - No UFOs!!
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Tue Jan 9 03:28:59 2007

Jim,

not at all; and it is far from being a stupid question ;-)

The subject is the view, not the landscape itself but the landscape as
altered
by the early evening mist. So it's the light, the shades of grey, the trees
and
the way they all fit together that makes the subject.  The subject is the
image
itself.

I don't believe that a photograph has to have a subject in the sense of a
building or a person; that is, a unique focus. Personally, I have always
been
very interested by the effect of low lights and mists, whether in the
country or
in town or anywhere else. That of course makes for a very different kind of
landscape from, say, most of GeeBee's, but I would contest that it is a
valid
landscape nonetheless.

My father was an abstract artist - which may offer some sort of context!
Call
this an attempt to achieve a similar thing in B&W, if you want.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter