Subject: [Leica] Re: Inner Mongolia
From: rollei.cord at web.de (rollei.cord@web.de)
Date: Mon Jan 8 19:54:10 2007

> While China is now a technologically
> sophisticated country, if a camera breaks in Inner Mongolia, I doubt
> that you will be able to get it repaired over the weekend. I would
> take a lot of color print film,

Colour negative film is easily available in China: mostly Kodak, sometimes
Fuji too, generally ISO 200. ISO 100 is less common, ISO 400 is fairly rare.
The quality of the material is sometimes questionable (old/stored in full
sunlight). B&W and slide film are very difficult to find. Best will be to
bring everything yourself.

Avoid processing in China unless you find a big, professional-looking Kodak
lab in a major city. Quality standards tend to be very low. I used to get my
negs back dirty and kinked. Prints were often awful.

Batteries, except for the most commonplace modern digital P&S cameras, are
hard to get. You may need an adaptor for a recharger. European plugs often
work. Adaptors are fairly easy to find. Rubber bands will help to provide
good contact between a plug and a rotten socket (fix the plug to the socket
at an angle with tension).

Reliable camera repair service is virtually nonexistent, except for Beijing,
Shanghai and possibly a couple of other big cities.

Oliver
Viren-Scan f?r Ihren PC! Jetzt f?r jeden. Sofort, online und kostenlos.