Subject: [Leica] Questions about recent M3 repair
From: charlie at droolassicpark.com (Charlie Meyer)
Date: Sun Jan 7 09:57:35 2007

I'm new here, but in my research to soak up as much as I can about
the DS M3 I won the lottery on, I seem to recall reading somewhere
that DAG had bought up the US Navy M4 parts, for example.  I'm a
retired Navy Supply Corps officer and submariner, and we had a
provisioning process for equipment that tried to stock replacement
parts based upon life cycle repair/overhaul needs.  There was also a
disposal process where DRMO would auction off spares for systems no
longer in service in the fleet. One could imagine that indies like
Don and Sherry, et al, were able to stash away parts from many
sources that the beancounters at Leica could not justify maintaining
in stock as a manufacturer. Inventory costs money....and Leica is no
stranger to money problems.

There were also lots of Leica M pix in old training manuals such as
'Photographer's Mate 3 & 2' (c. 1970s).  Back then, I once envied the
Photographer's Mate rating, but the community was so small, that one
probably had to kill someone to get a promotion.  That kind of career
practice was frowned upon. The boats I was a mechanic aboard then had
no Leicas, but there were Nikon Fs with periscope eyepiece mounts,
250 exposure backs, and motor drives. I wondered in those days what
would happen to the Nikon SLRs that rolling seas would send on a 5ft
freefall to steel decks at periscope depth.

When I was younger, there was an allure to the whirr and buzz of
equipment and technology, when the objective should have been in the
art of photography.  As I have seen from the handful of PAWs in the
last day or so, there is some great work being done out there with
these cameras.  Old dogs can learn new tricks.

Charlie