Subject: [Leica] A tripod, an M8, and two candles
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun Jan 7 08:25:16 2007

I notice the magenta glow in the candle wax... but I also notice the color
of the wall behind as being different.....   Is this also
a white balance issue we are seeing?

Anyone have a MacBeth Color chart to use to separate out the WB?

The candle flame is different than we have seen before.  It does look a bit
off sharp focus, seemingly in back of the flame as the
picture frame looks sharper,; it does have a wonderful pen-umbra ( or
whatever you call the stuff around a point light source that
gives it a halo like effect); and it does not show off color.  It is
definitely not a technical shot of the flame in clear sharp
focus.  The bottom of the flame shows blue, as you would expect and the
flame itself is clean in color.  Personally, I do not see a
color shift in the flame at all, nor a roundish ball of light , as Tina's
first pictures indicated.  I do see a flame that is
dreamy... which I like, but I think is the purpose of the exercise.... is it
IR/sensor related or something else....

I think that focus is till not counted out.  Brian, can the results be
repeated with the flame NOT in focus at all and then again in
really tight focus?  Make the focal plane behind the flame by a few feet (
as in Tina's picture).  Then again with the focus getting
progressively closer to the flame.

Second... do you have a 486 filter ( no not the uP, the glass type...)?
Third... was the WB held constant?
#4.. what about flare?  Is this also a component?  ( I got to thinking about
he pen-umbra....)  Different lens same FL, different
results?

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

> Don't you think it has to be the IR sensitivity? It seems reasonable
> to me that this effect represents an IR halo around a candle, rendered
> as purple by the M8.

I do, but someone has been suggesting that these halos were primarily just
focus problems, and I wanted to find out whether that is
true. I don't think it is true.

Replies: Reply from rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw) ([Leica] A tripod, an M8, and two candles)