Subject: [Leica] M8 fun cut short
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Mon Jan 1 13:28:21 2007

Alastiar wrote:

>I had an electronic shutter lock up on a trip around Europe one year.
>Had to pack the camera away in its box. It convinced me that I could
>not travel with only one body, so even last year in Antarctica, I
>carried a spare 'blad body. The risk with the digital fantastics is
>that being so expensive, you are tempted to have just one: after all,
>you don't need b/w and colour film or fast and slow film, it all
>comes in one package and that is why you can afford the camera in the
>first place BUT if it fails.
>
>Sorry to hear of your fate: it could be an easy "re-set" as the
>shutter was on my X700 Minolta all those years ago
>
>cheers
>---
>Earlier,  Hugh Thompson had written:
>
>>The M8 locked up on me today, not just temporarily, as some have
>>done, but completely.  I took the battery out made sure it was
>>fully charged, and reinstalled, but it does not want to open up at
>>all.
>>
>>I am waiting for the dealer to call on Tuesday, I know he will go
>>to bat for me with the Leica rep but a replacement may be difficult
>>to obtain.
>>
>>I have so enjoyed the M8 experience, and got used to carrying it
>>around, it is even beginning to brass a little!
>>
>>Hugh

You are right, Alastair! I travelled with my R8+DMR to Europe this
past fall, and it failed.  Fortunately, for me, it happened whilst we
were in Wetzlar for the LHSA meet and Leica loaned me an R9+DMR for
the balance of our holiday.

However it convinced me, as your experience did you, that I will
never travel with just one body again. Especially digital! At
present, I'm tempted by the 4/3rds systems, for they allow a smaller
camera which Rose can use, but which, with an adapter, will take my
Leica glass, if necessary.

Sorry to hear, Hugh, of your "lock up".  I had not heard of this
phenomenon with the M8.

Cheers!
---

David Young,