Subject: [Leica] Re: Old technologies
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sat Dec 30 17:49:43 2006

At 08:41 PM 12/30/2006, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:
 >As an avid yachtsman I can assure Lug members that there are many
 >devices and technologies which have remained unchanged for at least a
 >century or more. I still have, and very occasionally use, a Heath
 >Hezzanth sextant which is the image of the sextant produced in the
 >1880s. There are a few changes in the half silvered mirrors but
 >otherwise it is the same instrument. My Dietz oil lamp, now made in
 >Germany, is identical to the model produced in New York in the 19th
 >century. The Perkins diesel engine which powers my boat was first
 >developed for London taxicabs around 1950. Even the Ithaca Model 37
 >shotgun which I use to repel pirates of the Caribbean is that same as
 >that sold in gun stores in the 1930s. Apart from the GPS and
 >electronics, the newest mechanical device on my boat is probably my
 >1954 Leica M3.

I understand.  You might consider revisiting your
copies of Nevil Shute's novels, many of which had
a basis in yachting, especially his last book,
TRUSTEE FROM THE TOOLROOM, where the main
character is carried in a rather basic yacht from
Hawaii to Tahiti, with discussions of the technology employed.

Nevil Shute Norway was always a slipstick
engineer, and this shows through all of his writings.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!