Subject: [Leica] Silent Night
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Dec 29 13:59:26 2006

Sonny showed:

> Imagine people singing "Silent  Night"
>> http://www.sonc.com/midnight_mass_silent_night.htm<<<<

Hi Sonny,
Love it simply because it's so beautifully lit in what little light there is
capturing the mood of the moment. And not blasted away with some Twinkie
light! ;-)

If one can see the subject, they can shoot it!  I really enjoy shooting
under this kind of light condition certainly since switching to digital,

1. I don't have to switch film or camera and loading higher speed  ASA film.

2. The digital results under these kind of light levels far out strip the
quality of film.

3. It doesn't cost a penny to make a bunch of extra exposures attempting to
make it look good. Or you're successful in the shot.

I don't know how you approached the exposure, but mine would have been as
simple as.... go to 3200 squeeze on shutter release and shoot! Then see if
the shutter speed was high enough to drop to a lower ASA of 1600 or 800.

But get the first one in the can quick..... just in case. Then play after.
:-)

Oh I know a lot of people cringe at the thought of shooting 3200, heck even
1600. But I'd much rather have the picture than no picture at all. And
certainly using a Leicanon 20D under tough lighting at 3200 the printed
results are rarely throw a way.

Isn't what we do far more important at photographing what we are motivated
by in our feelings, than all the "exact perfect techie stuff?"

Just a beauty!

ted