Subject: [Leica] IMG: Sharpening
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Dec 22 18:12:31 2006

On 12/22/06 8:23 PM, "H. Ball Arche" <h_arche@yahoo.com> typed:

> Hey Jeffery-
>
> What's less?
>
> When I shot PanF I'd go as high as 1.5 @150%.
>
> Now shooting APX 100, a high adjustment for me would
> be 0.9@125%.
>
> With Tri-x I feel I'm pushing it to go 0.7@75%.
>
> With Neopan 1600 I sometimes don't tweak it at all
> because of what it does to the grain, at least, not
> until I resize and jpeg it for the web.
>
> At that point everything gets another 0.3@50%, almost
> always.
>
> --- Jeffery Smith <jsmith342@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> I am using sharpening less and less (I don't mean is
>> often don't use it, but
>> I use it with very "weak" settings. It tends to
>> sharpen my grain(!) when I
>> don't want it to, and it wreaks havok with faces
>> older than Britney Spears'.
>> If anyone viewing the finished says "It looks
>> oversharpened", its time to
>> start backing off.
>>
>> Jeffery Smith
>> New Orleans, LA
>> http://www.400tx.com
>> http://400tx.blogspot.com/

But how that grain despite how it looks on the screen THEN TRANSLATES to the
right look in a print is apples and pears.
One needs to take it all the way to really know what one is doing.

In the UN SHARP department.

I'd thought of asking the UN DEAD.

With the end of making my printing UN BAD.

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY
40?47'59.79"N
73?57'32.37"W