Subject: [Leica] IMG: Big Brother
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Dec 21 16:19:28 2006

Tina Manley showed & asked:

> One photo, two ways.  This boy babysat his infant sister for two days
> while their mother attended training workshops for health promoters in
> Guatemala.  I couldn't resist the beautiful colors of the stained glass
> door but maybe it's more effective in B&W?

> http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/71970894<<<<

Hi Tina,
Not too often I'll admit a colour photograph of people is better in colour
than B&W.;-)

Unless the colour is the dominant factor in making the picture work. This
maybe part of my re-action.

It isn't that the B&W doesn't work, it's the photograph has a "gutless"
appearance. It doesn't appear to have any contrast, just sits there flat!
Now maybe because the colour? Light? is a soft contrast it doesn't transfer
well without a contrast boost in B&W?

Ok there you are me dear. :-) If you have time for a "give it shot boost"
;-) Rather than a simple colour to B&W conversion?

ted

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] IMG: Big Brother)