Subject: [Leica] The slippery slope - "digital"?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Dec 21 09:50:22 2006

At 9:37 AM -0500 12/21/06, <vick.ko@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>Bingo!  Thank you Allen.
>
>Last thing I want to be doing is buying more lenses.  I do have a
>few AI lenses.
>
>But I understand due to body thicknesses, the Nikon can never take
>Leica glass.  The Canon can take Leica glass with the adapter.
>
>Is that so?
>
>regards
>Vick
>

>>  From: <allen.graves@charter.net>
>>  Date: 2006/12/21 Thu AM 09:35:20 EST
>>  To: Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>
>>  CC: Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca>
>>  Subject: Re: [Leica] The slippery slope - "digital"?
>>
>>  In addition to what Chris has said, the D200 will also meter with
>>nearly all manual focus nikon-mount lenses. The D80 doesn't.
>>
>  > Allen

An interesting facet to this is that in some respects it's easier to
use older Nikon lenses on Canon cameras than on some Nikon cameras.
With an adapter, you can meter with all Nikon lenses on a 20D or
such, but you lose auto aperture. On Nikons such as the D70 or D80,
you have auto aperture, but no metering. Take your choice.

With the new inexpensive Nikon D40, you can't even use most AF
lenses; only the newest ones with the built in motor. That's probably
a body to stay away from. On the other hand, the D200 is outstanding.

When Nikon came out with the F80 in the 90's, I saw the writing on
the wall. Since I would be forced to replace many of my lenses in the
next years anyway, why not look at Canon? Especially since Canon had
that 24TSE...

I still have an F2 with a pretty good range of manual lenses (and
which are now not worth very much) which I enjoy, but AF stuff and
main SLR system is Canon. I'm sure compatibility issues will arise in
the future, as more capabilities are developed, but for right now EF
lenses have greater compatibility.

There is the non-compatibility of the sensor sizes and lenses made
for the smaller sensors, but there you also get increased versatility.

In the end, if you have Nikon AF lenses, go Nikon etc. If you have
Leica lenses and _really_ want to use them, go Canon. But eventually
you'll want to use Canon lenses on Canon cameras.

BTW, most of Ken Rockwell's complaints about the Canons have to do
with the way he likes to work which has been affected by specific
capabilities of the Nikons. Switching systems requires new ways of
working, and that goes both ways.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design