Subject: [Leica] The slippery slope - "digital"?
From: mcyclwritr at comcast.net (mcyclwritr@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Dec 21 08:44:11 2006

 Vick,

 If you don't have a bagful of Nikon lenses, I say start with Canon.

 Overall, Canon has best low-light, high-ISO performance. Though I hear
there's a
 Nikon that's good in that area.

 Availability of full-frame-sensor bodies. No other manufacturer offers
them. If
 you shoot people, full frame lets portrait lenses perform as they should
with
 shallow depth of focus. The Canon 5D recently tested as having the
 best skin tone rendition. See ShootSmarter.com. Also, wide-angle lenses
don't
 lose angle of coverage with a full-frame sensor.

 Availability of L-series and IS lenses. Canon got the jump on everyone with
 anti-shake technology and will most likely stay in the lead. Nearly
limitless
 resources, you know. Of course, Minolta (now Sony or Pentax??) bodies with
anti-shake sensors
 mean every lens is anti-shake. That sounds like a good deal.

 Right now, Canon has rebates in effect. Purchase a 5D with another
qualifying
 product and get $600 back on the 5D. I'm tempted to add a second 5D to the
 stable for that reason, alone.

 Is Canon perfect? No. But they DO get fixes in the pipeline very, very
quickly.
 Because of the vast pro contingent they support, everybody benefits.

 Bonus benefit--the Canon EF 200mm f/1.8L.  A lens like no other and no
longer
 manufactured, supposedly because of some glass-formulation chemical process
that even
 Asians won't tolerate.

 I hope that helps.

 -Chris Lawson