Subject: [Leica] ocean... TED
From: bernardofeio at yahoo.com.br (bernardo feio)
Date: Tue Dec 19 09:49:43 2006

Ted caro amigo,

  I have the (awful) habit of justifying the things that I don?t do right!
  Thanks for your comment!
  I will straiten the horizon and I will to some other tests with the photo.

  Caro amigo, caro amigo

?
but looking like stupid photographer for shooting a crooked picture!! You
must straighten these slight tilts, other wise you make yourself look
foolish in handling and printing your photographs!?

Too much adjectives for my taste but I tend do agree with you!

  B regards from Portugal
  bernardo lopes feio

Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> escreveu:  bernardo feio said:
Subject: RE: [Leica] ocean...

> Yes they are a bit tilted! I notice but I decide not to edit the photos.
> They are exactly how they came out of the camera.
>
> Most of the photos I take at sea are a bit tilted because is very very
> difficult to balance with the boat and kip the camera horizontal!<<<<

Bernardo mon ami,
The ocean doesn't flow up nor down hill and it doesn't matter whether the
boat or ship is heaving all over the place. But when you make the print you
straighten it! That is a basic rule of photography!

What you have now in both of these rather fine photographs because the
horizon is crooked/tilted are two spoiled photographs.

The first thing a viewer sees looking at these photographs isn't the beauty
of the picture...........they see .... the horizon is crooked! Period! And
you are seen as a poor photographer because you shot it this way! If you had
fixed it no one would ever know you didn't hold the camera straight !

>> I notice but I decide not to edit the photos. They are exactly how they
>> came out of the camera.<<<<<<

No no mon ami, this is nonsense at it's best! Because you are making
yourself look, not as a wonderful talented photographer, but looking like
stupid photographer for shooting a crooked picture!! You must straighten
these slight tilts, other wise you make yourself look foolish in handling
and printing your photographs!

ted