Subject: [Leica] Tina said what?!
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Mon Dec 18 12:54:00 2006

As usual in these sorts of discussions reality lies somewhere in the
middle.

My experience: When really working (meaning searching for images by
moving about an event with a camera mostly at the eye over long
periods of time) the cameras (and me), whatever their size or
quantity are eventually forgotten by the majority of subjects.

However, when casually photographing an event, the large cameras and
lenses are always (yes always) an issue. Someone always wants to know
something about them and/or someone always doesn't want to be
photographed by them. And the bigger lens the more exaggerated these
reactions.

Without a doubt, carrying 1 or even 2 M cameras have always given me
a distinct and noticeable stealth advantage over DSLRs. If noticed at
all, they're more quickly forgotten.

The 20D with 50 lux gives me more stealth advantage than the 5D with
70-200 ISLUM with it's 6 inch lens shade.

Obviously when all 4 cameras, one with a flash and a diffuser, are
hanging on me along with an accessory bag (or when the gigs are
really good - an assistant standing around me with the bag and a
strobe on a pole) - it all becomes a mute point.

YMMV.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com