Subject: [Leica] I did not buy an M8, but I want one.
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Dec 17 12:41:32 2006

Dave:  We know you don't like the M8.  No need to join the Department of
Redundancy Department, keep repeating yourself, and say the same thing
multiple times.  :-)

Seriously, you are right that people are more critical of Leica than of
other companies, simply because Leica is Leica.  However, a Leica is not a
short-term purchase or an impulse buy.  If Leica fixes things within a
reasonable time, eventually people will remember what a great camera it is,
and the wonky launch will be a distant memory.

The question of how long it will take to fix everything, or if it will
happen is another question.  I am in the "so what?" camp about the need for
IR filters, if that's the price of high resolution, so be it.  The other
stuff is more worrisome, especially the new vertical stripe issue.  We'll
see.

Go to flickr.com, search for groups with "leica M8" in the name.  One group
has most of the photos.  Look through them.  You'll see that the M8 is
capable of taking some very fine images.  The B&W in particular is amazing.

I am holding off on buying one until things settle down and we really the
camera's performance well.  Then I'll decide.  I might be like Sonny and
get something else in the meantime.  The Pentax K100D and K10D are looking
very tempting.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] I did not buy an M8, but I want one.)