Subject: [Leica] I did not buy an M8, but I want one.
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Sun Dec 17 12:16:32 2006

Hi Jerry,

I wouldn't be so hard on the pioneers. They went in with their eyes
open, knowing the product had problems. But given Leica's past
history with mechanical cameras, they expected the problems to be
found and fixed in short order. Notice I said mechanical products.
Leica's expertise since the 20's has been in optical and mechanical
design and in custom manufacturing. They are not an electronic
company. I spent 40 years designing products for an electronic
company. The last 20 years or so have been the most difficult. With
most of the products today being software and firmware controlled,
the products never seem to be 100% right.  On a fairly complicated
$500 product we release to production knowing there may be up to 100
know bugs or so. Mostly in the firmware. I learned a long time ago
you never buy the first one off the line. I fault Leica for not
having a long enough Beta test and not forcing the Beta testers to
find and report problems. I also feel some of the Beta testers may
have been awestruck by the good or great aspects of the product while
overlooking it's faults. I don't think leica has the experience to
realize this.

I fully expect to buy an M8 at some point. But it won't be the first
one off the line.

Len