Subject: [Leica] A modern Leica (image stabilization)
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Dec 15 16:04:56 2006

At 9:53 AM +1100 12/16/06, Alastair Firkin wrote:
>which brings me to a question: with all these image stabilization
>thingys, do you pay a price in speed or "shutter lag"?

Well, you can't just mash the shutter button. On the Canon lenses
with stabilization, you start looking at your subject, press the
button lightly and when things are aligned take your picture. You
don't have to keep your finger on the button, but you have to have
touched it within a couple of seconds before taking your shot,
because otherwise the gyros spin down again, and it takes them a
second or 2 to reach optimum speed. 'Lag' isn't really the word, as
shutter response is as good as ever, but a bit of planning is
necessary. Since the subjects that benefit most from stabilization
hold still anyway, it's not much of a problem.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] A modern Leica (image stabilization))