Subject: [Leica] A newbie here..
From: larry.k at rcn.com (larry.k@rcn.com)
Date: Thu Dec 14 05:27:44 2006

>   Does my jumping runner shot here:
>
> http://web.mac.com/mac.hive/iWeb/Site/Street.html
>
>   work in any way?

>>I think you need to be closer.

  Sure, I agree, but I also need a longer lens than a 50mm, which is my
longest
M lens. I couldn't get closer or I would have been run over. Mr. Brightroom
guy
was 3 inches from my ear, firing away and saying over and over again: "Great
race, good job, way to go, great race, good job, way to go". That was enough
drive me insane, even if his non-stop firing wasn't enough to do that or his
complaints about his buffer filling up too rapidly.

>Brightroom specializes (if you can call it that) in mass production.
>If you give an infinite number of chimps an equally infinite number of
>machine-gun Nikons then in theory there will be a good picture among
>the infinite number of exposures.  I've gotten better pictures by
>handing my R4 to one of my friends so they can snap one picture as I
>run past.  I have never ever purchased a Brightroom photo of one of my
>races.

  Good for you! I agree with you, it is a ridiculous business model, but
there you
go. Those guys must burn up a lot of shutters.

  I still wonder what the decisive moment is in a road race, if none of the
runners
fall down at the finish line, say. I can picture those horse jumping shots
that Ted
described and I love that shot of the rider going into the drink, but my
mind
draws a blank coming up with an amazing shot of a long distance runner,
unless
it is of some guy grimacing in pain.  Any hints? I won't be photographing
any
more races unless my wife is in them...

  Regards,

 Larry

P.S. We even have boids in New York City, but some of ours have
rent-controlled
deals on 5th Avenue..

See:

www.palemale.com