Subject: [Leica] Re: Chimps and gorillas
From: larry.k at rcn.com (larry.k@rcn.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 19:10:03 2006

Chimps are our closest cousins:

"A detailed analysis of human and chimp DNA suggests the lines finally
diverged
less than 5.4 million years ago.

The finding, published in the journal Nature, is about 1-2 million years
later
than the fossils have indicated.

A US team says its results hint at the possibility that interbreeding
occurred
between the two lines for thousands, even millions, of years.

This hybridisation would have been important in swapping genes for traits
that
allowed the emerging species to survive in their environments, explain the
scientists affiliated to the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard and the
Harvard
Medical School.

.
.
.
Humans and chimps contain DNA sequences that are very similar to each other;
the differences are due to mutations, or errors, in the genetic code that
have
occurred since these animals diverged on to separate evolutionary paths."

from:

Now, I'll probably be shouted down by the anti-evolution people, but there
you
go, we have the fossil records indicating that we were linked. We still took
the
better path to central heating, computer networks, and uh, cameras!

  Regards,

  Larry K.

 not Z.

  K.