Subject: [Leica] IMG: for those that want to buy a ZI 28/2.8
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Dec 10 19:25:11 2006

Philippe, thanks for posting those. Just from that casual look it seems to
have plenty of sharpness. I have to agree that is OOF
background rendering seems a little unpleasant on the first.
That's an interesting issue because of the inherent great DOF. Depending on
subject and intent to would certainly be manageable, I
imagine. To be objective, your example is really right at the worst case for
DOF, isn't it, being both wide open and about at the
minimum focus distance? The plane of focus is actually in front of your
pretty subject, maybe 15cm?

I'm more than thrilled with the f2 asph. This is my, never part with, lens.
However an issue of course is that the ZI designs are
much more affordable. It would be an interesting price/performance
comparison vs the new 2.8 28 asph. Also that new Leica lens is
tiny.

Cheers
Hoppy