Subject: [Leica] Next DMR Firmware Date
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Sat Dec 9 08:25:58 2006

Bob Shaw wrote:

>All:
>
>Seems to me they told David while he was in Solms that 1.3 "could" be
>out by Christmas.  I got that impression from Ralph Haganauer as well,
>during the Seattle area "Leica Akademie"last month.
>
>David:  Do you recall, and is that date still good in your opinion?
>
>Bob

Alistair, Eric, Bob, et al:

I don't know if that date is still good... we're getting quite close
to Christmas, and nothing yet.

The problem, as I understand it, is as follows:

When v1.2 was released, Imacon (who build the DMR for Leica) provided
the update to Leica, saying it was fine. However, there were serious
colour cast problems with it and the firmware was withdrawn in less
than 24 hours.  It was fixed, and later released to become a big
improvement over v1.1.

Imacon provided Leica with v1.3, in early September, and it was
released to a few testers, to see if the bugs were fully out of it.
After all, Leica did not wish a repeat of the v1.2 fiasco.  In
particular, a scandal of that type, immediately prior to the release
of the M8 would be disastrous!

I've been told  by both Tony Rose and Stephen Gandy that they know
one of the testers... and  v1.3 is said to be "a big improvement",
although in just what ways, I am unsure.

The actual release date was to depend on [a] what bugs the testers
found and [b] how long it took Imacon to fix them.   "Before the end
of the year" was the official line, but they stressed that because of
[a] and [b] nothing was cast in stone.  It could be early in the New
Year ... or even a wee bit later.

The good news, is that it really is coming!

Sorry for the long delay in answering, but I've received almost no
mail from the LUG for 3 days... and then, this morning, hundreds of
posts arrived "en masse".  Bulk delete was the order of the day, but
I scanned for interesting subjects, and found your posts, before doing so.

Cheers!
---

David Young,
Logan Lake, CANADA