Subject: [Leica] High ISOs Comparison
From: xrogers at comcast.net (Clyde Rogers)
Date: Fri Dec 8 07:23:33 2006

On Dec 8, 2006, at 12:17 AM, Frank Filippone wrote:
> I did no expanded experimentation to try to find the magic wonder
> tonic.  I decided to use something that was state of the art, and
> supported.

So Frank, why not just do that with digital, and let the wacky
optimizers go on with their optimizing?  Look over on the alt-process
mailing list, where people are arguing about graininess and DMAX for
platinum printing---wasn't that all settled a hundred years ago?  The
optimization of all these processes never stops, you've just (quite
reasonably) chosen to opt out of it.

We're talking about digital camera performance at the limits---if you
are a "normal" shooter (ISO 400 and below), you'll find up to ISO 800
(and maybe higher) a delight with the M8 or the Canon, and a piece of
cake with either camera using out of the box software.

In fact, most would be happy with raw+jpg shooting---just print jpgs
directly, and have the raw on hand to give to a professional if
something is seriously wrong with an image you really like.  You'll
get so many good shots, you'll likely just forget about the few where
the white balance was really off, or the highlights blew out.

Anyhow, film or digital (both are a mixed bag), M8 or 5D (both seem
too expensive), we're each going to do what seems best to us, and
that's exactly what we should do.

Later,

Clyde Rogers