Subject: [Leica] High ISOs Comparison
From: harrison at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Thu Dec 7 15:44:47 2006

telyt@earthlink.net wrote:

> I hear a lot of crowing about the 5D being a slam-dunk winner from 5D
> owners based on a few examples.  We need to realize that we're still at the
> beginning of the learing curve w.r.t. M8 optimization while 5D optimizatoin
> is better understood.  Note that I don't own either camera and the 5D is
> much more likely for me than the M8.

Doug is right about this.  With every new digital camera usually the
first users have issues and there is a learning and adjustment period.
When the Canon 1D was introduced there were huge issues with its sensor
and dark noise banding, heck in some instances you could see where the
two CCD chips were stitched together to make the imager.  That issue was
finally resolved and the 1D became the camera to which all others were
compared to.  I have a 16x16 print from about 1/3 of the sensor that is
stunning, you can count the hairs on a bees legs.

That cameras successor the 1DII was perceived as "soft" It really was
not, but it just took some learning on how to handle the files and set
up the internal software of the camera.

I would not be surprised to see that the M8, after a few months, some
firmware upgrades and getting used to how to handle the files, producing
stunning images at most any ISO.  I do not think it will rival the 5D in
terms of noise simply due to the inherent noise of a CCD chip versus a
CMOS chip, but I am sure it will be better than what Tina showed a few
days ago.

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography