Subject: [Leica] High ISOs Comparison
From: xrogers at comcast.net (Clyde Rogers)
Date: Thu Dec 7 07:18:34 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 12:55 AM, Adam Bridge wrote:
> I'm wondering if the differences between your results and Tina's
> involves Tina's being of a fundamentally dark subject matter while
> yours are of a fundamentally light subject - mostly in the whites?

That may be part of it.  The Leica does have more noise in the deepest
shadows.  Fortunately, at high ISO, I've generally already accepted
that the
print may have areas of featureless black.  I don't really care about
the
noise there, I just don't want it to be a distraction (it should be
even), it
shouldn't make the black look gray, and if I have some printable
variation
in the black, it shouldn't obscure too much of it (either though
noise reduction
or by having it get lost in noise).

I've got to make more prints to evaluate this, and of course, my
printer is
dying.  I'll get to it when the new printer arrives.  That said, from
the images
I have printed successfully, even in dark areas I don't think the
M8's noise
is going to be too big problem for me when I use high ISO.

> Thank you for taking the time to make these images and to post them. I
> forgot to say the same to Tina. Drat! Well, Tina - thank you!

You're very welcome.  I hesitated to post this at all---both positive
and
negative M8 postings seem to almost randomly provoke some people.

Thanks,

Clyde Rogers

Message from xrogers at comcast.net (Clyde Rogers) ([Leica] High ISOs Comparison)
Message from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] High ISOs Comparison)