Subject: [Leica] IMG: This ain't no yellow brick road, laddie!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Dec 5 06:48:55 2006

Peter Klein offered:

> Again, a cropping dilemma.
> > Crop #1:
> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/Nevada/11850008Irish-w.jpg.html>
> > or Crop #2
> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/Nevada/11850008Irish-Crop2-w.jpg.html>
>
> #2 gets rid of some distractions, but I really like the way the shadows
> point to the subjects in #1.
>
> Snapped as we walked by, 35 'Cron.<<<

Peter my friend,
The operative word here is..... "Snapped "!!!!!! :-( a file13 compared to
your regular photographs.

We have all done this kind of quick re-action snap picture thing where no
matter what we try to do with it after the fact it really and truly just
doesn't work.:-( File 13 !

It's a kind of "re-action to colour" more than content even though both are
influencing your "seeing senses."  The colour grabbed your eye and
"click!":-(

Your #2 crop is better because it allows the viewer to see into the bar
behind to the right, seems to make it balance slightly better. But even here
the people walking on the left are so distracting due to the lighting they
draw the eyes away from what should be two or one bright green person.

On the left there are two men with a slight separation between, one white
shirt, one plaid, if you crop right through there & get rid of everything to
the left it helps because you get rid of the white eye catching shirt and
the guys white hair!  Or burn it down to a less distracting level. Then the
man walking toward you, dark shirt and glasses needs to be burnt down also.

But honestly it's a hell of a lot work trying to make something out of a
"grab shot" better left un-exposed as we see it here. Or at least as you
presented, "it ain't no yellow brick road."

If I were to have posted it I think I might have asked something like... "OK
what are all the things wrong with this photo?" Or "What are all the things
that could've been done to make it better?"

Either of those questions I'm sure would've evoked a great deal of
interesting descriptions. :-)

A last minute thought... maybe in B&W it might have worked better because
you relate to the shadows, "I really like the way the shadows point to the
subjects in #1."

No offence intended as you know.

ted