Subject: [Leica] Has this ever happened to one of you?
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Dec 3 15:50:34 2006

At 06:17 PM 12/3/2006, Jeffery Smith wrote:
 >The offending liquid was a sample of Arista Premium Developer from
 >Freestyle. I had no D76 on hand and tried it on some Neopan 400. I guess
 >this is why nobody I know uses Arista Premium Developer. :-0

Jeffery

I always keep the raw chemicals for D-76 on
hand.  This stuff lasts forever and is quite
inexpensive so, whenever I am caught without any
developer on hand, I can fall back on home-made
D-76.  (Kodak blew a marketing opportunity this
year, as 2006 marks the 80th anniversary of
D-76.  But then AGFA failed to do much with
Rodinal when it turned 100 15 years ago.  And
almost no one has noted that 2006 is the 250th
birthday of Voigtl?nder, albeit the company
really ceased as an independent entity when it
was merged with Zeiss Ikon in 1966 (the 210th
birthyear!), then passed on to Rollei in 2003,
gutted by them, with the brand names but nothing
else later passing to the company which licenses these to Cosina.)

I like XTOL but find it almost impossible to find
locally.  There is a home-brew recipe for that
but I've never tried it -- you start out with
orange juice and then you ... <he
grins>.  Someday, I'll try out the home-brew
recipe to see what happens.  Rodinal also lasts a
LONG time so long as it is in glass bottles and
not in plastic:  I have some Rodinal which must
be 40 years old or older but which keeps on working.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Has this ever happened to one of you?)