Subject: [Leica] Alien Skin Exposure
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sat Dec 2 22:08:27 2006

>This is a photograph that I already showed exactly as below here. I
>shot it on Fuji NPS160, with professional development, but had it
>scanned commerially on low res: all flattened out.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/y4o8pq
>or bigger:
>http://tinyurl.com/tbwgw
>

>This is the same shot after I let Alien Skin (and some minor
>additional PS alterations) have a go at the original scan today:
>
>as big as above:
>http://tinyurl.com/y373rf
>
>!!! the big ones are in Adobe RGB !!!
>
>Isn't the 2nd one much more distinctive and doesn't it have a lot
>more character? Or am I just overenthousiastic?
>
>Philippe

Hi Philippe,

The plug in just seems to increase contrast, throw a lot of the
extended tonal range away and skew the colours to introduce a cast.

This is usually what I fight to get rid of when scanning.

Film, properly printed lets me get a huge tonal range and a good
printer was always able to handle the colours properly. My scans,
even with a fairly good scanner, are usually limited in comparison to
projected slides or a good print.

I'm sorry, but the first image, while not necessarily optimized,
allows all sorts of interpretations, but the second looks like a poor
scan. It is a 'film' look, but one that mimics something I try to
avoid - not always successfully.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design