Subject: [Leica] Is it just me?
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Wed Nov 29 13:52:23 2006

>  I can't imagine looking at a scene and saying "if I only had a
> lens two millimeters longer (or wider)."

I was in that situation yesterday.  And Monday.  And five or seven
times on Saturday.  (Sunday was a slack day for car maintenance and
such.) Probably not tonight but it looks like at least twice
tomorrow, maybe three times depending on how crowded a conference
gets.   And I was DAMNED glad to have a 16-35 zoom instead of
depending on 17, 20, 35 (all of which I have).  I gave up a stop to
the 35, broke even on the 20, and actually gained half a stop on the
17.

Working pj's wind up working regularly in close-quarters situations
where a wide-angle is an absolute necessity and taking five or six
steps forward or back ISN'T possible. Also take into consideration
that in a quiet room, changing lenses draws a great deal more
attention than simply rotating a ring around the lens, (not to
mention the need to pay for (or convince purchasing to pay for) and
carry multiple lenses).  I'm not a big fan of telezooms, because
having more room between you and the subject makes those compromises
unnecessary, but up close and personal-like, the less you have to
move the better, and I'm willing to trade off for that.

It's certainly a limited-market lens, which most amateurs aren't
going to be terribly interested in, but I think it's also a fairly
important one to have if Leica wants to use the M8.? to put
themselves back into the professional photojournalism world.  The
convenience / possibility factor simply outweighs the purely
photographic considerations (which, you're right, would argue
STRONGLY against the existence of such an optical abortion.)

And everyone's mileage will vary.

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com