Subject: [Leica] How to fix this image
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Nov 26 22:23:44 2006

Eric I'm using Alastair's example and your suggestions to try to learn the
fundamentals of masks.
I've ordered that Katrin Eismann book, having just received her excellent
title on photo restoration and retouching.
Would you please expand on the method outline that you have provided? I'm
evidently not following it properly. I have CS2 (Windows).
Alastair's pic is greyscale. I have converted to 16 bit.
This is what I tried
>From channels palette>Duplicate channel. That gives me a copy of the
>original gray channel
Now with gray copy only visible I bring up levels
I pull in the b&W points until I get near pure b&W
Load channel as selection
That gives me the (dark) foreground with visible red mask
I made a new adjustment layer for levels and adjusted the level so that the
background tone was satisfactory.
OK now I'm lost as to how to proceed with the layer mask that I have
created. I've used brushes on an adjustment layer before to
successfully blur a background  area, for example
Thanks for your patience. I love the power of photoshop. There is so much to
learn, of course.
Cheers
Hoppy