Subject: [Leica] Re: Guidelines for getting your URLs through to us intact
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sun Nov 26 11:25:19 2006

If the www is there, it is just part of the name. Using www or not using www
is a matter of personal taste. I dislike it and never use it, but I always
enable it as an alternative. For example, even though I always advertise the
LUG photo contest as contest.leica-users.org, I have defined an alias
www.contest.leica-users.org for those who feel a need to type the www.

The http:// is, technically, the access protocol. If you enter into your
browser a name without the http:// in front, it will immediately prefix that
onto the name string before trying to open the page. The function that it
serves here on the LUG is that most mail readers won't spot and highlight a
URL that does not begin with an access method. So

        contest.leica.users.org         is not clickable in most mailers
        http://contest.leica-users.org  is clickable in most mailers

So the function served here by the "http://"; is "Hey! Mail reading program!
Yes, you! This is a URL. Make it clickable." AOL doesn't do this, but pretty
much all other mail readers do.

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Re: Guidelines for getting your URLs through to us intact)