Subject: [Leica] Some home science experiments with the M8
From: davison_m at msn.com (MARK DAVISON)
Date: Tue Nov 21 11:43:50 2006

Those of you who like home science experiments might want to look at my
latest contribution to the thread:

<http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/9637-new-m8-profiles-c1-instructions.html>

Basically I've figured out how to get ahold of de-mosaiced raw linear device
coordinates from M8 pictures, and I've photographed a physical spectrum from
a prism to find the boundary of the device gamut.  Then I've taken some
pictures outdoors of some purple balloons whose chromaticity coordinates lie
uncomfortably close to those of a black object turned purple under
incandescent.

Sure enough when you apply a tweaked profile which is supposed to take out
false purple, it makes part of the balloons dark gray.

So you can't distinguish sufficiently well between false purple and true for
the tweaked profile to always work.

I think I'll work with my 7th grade son to make a home spectrograph with a
diffraction grating, and then perhaps we can calibrated the spectrograph,
and I can make a spectral map for the M8 with the wavelengths annotated.
This will allow us to see how the estimate of principal wavelength (the
exact physical analog of hue) changes with and without a UV/IR cut filter
for various objects.

Mark Davison

Replies: Reply from harrison at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] Some home science experiments with the M8)
Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Some home science experiments with the M8)