Subject: [Leica] Mac desktop for Photoshop CS2?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Mon Nov 20 00:22:11 2006

Hi Jeffrey,
I am not sure a low end Mac is going to be your best choice. They all
have Intel processors now and until Adobe brings out a Mac version
optimised for these processors it is not fast on Macs. I think Adobe
are letting their legions of Mac customers down here but now that
Apple are in competition with them on software perhaps the "special
relationship" is wearing thin.
The extra memory will almost certainly help on the PC, that is what I
would try first.
I am not sure the memory management is much different on Macs and PCs
these days. Pre OSX one could allocate memory personally, in OSX it
is allocated in the OS and whilst Adobe has a preference allowing the
user to encourage OSX to use larger proportions of the memory it
still, on my Mac, is slow to allocate very much of the 6Gb of ram to
photoshop, even when I have nothing else open. I don't know why,
perhaps they want Photoshop to be as slow as Aperture ;-)
Warning - I use both Macs and PCs but don't have a PC version of
photoshop so this is speculative rather than definitive.
Frank