Subject: [Leica] having met an m8, i've decided i don't need one
From: ausdlk at gmail.com (David Keenan)
Date: Sun Nov 19 21:57:30 2006

kc --

>   2) it feels a lot thicker

This is because the CCD and the (unneeded) LCD sit back to back. Loose the
LCD (which no true M photographer should ever need) and the camera could be
the same depth we all would really rather have

> * i clicked the shutter and it went "clunk-whirr!"

This godawful sound completely destroys the traditional, time-tested "M
experience". Try this in the familar discrete places that the film M's are
used and forget going unnoticed.

>i want the m8 to be a digital version of the m6.

Exactly -- but better yet an M7. No LCD, no additional external controls
(except for maybe a WB button that shows the white balance selected in the
viewfinder), the traditional cloth shutter and "film advance" lever to cock
the shutter (like the RD-1), a battery compartment where the film went, a SD
card slot where the film take-up spool was, and a USB port to connect to a
PC to do any necessary configuration.

This "M8" would be a true digital M camera in the tradition that all M
photographers (if they are honest with themselves) really want.

If you have to have an LCD, if you have to chimp, if you need all the
buttons,.then use a digital SLR -- you don't need an M.

>i went home a sad and wiser man.

This former M8 owner discovered the "truth" last weekend and remains very
disappointed -- yes, probably still a little bitter as well.

Dave.
--
My Photography: http://www.david-keenan.com
My Blog: http://www.david-keenan.com/euroblog