Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 issues and a question (WAS: Sonny's M5)
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Sun Nov 19 14:27:51 2006

> I have the same concerns as Harrison. I have become used to being able
> to walk around with my 1DII around my neck in freezing temperatures (not
> so much here in NL, but when I go to visit my sister in Poland over
> Christmas) and still get several days of shooting on one charge.

The battery is tiny and light: no hope that it could last days of heavy
shooting: I'm on my 3rd charge, and it has now spent 24 hours "unused".
I'll be taking more images later today and we will see how it holds up
over several days then, but the battery is not yet fully "primed". I must
say it is so small and light that to carry an extra would not  be a
problem

> The second issue is the startup time. One thing is that the camera takes
> a few seconds to be ready when you turn it on. I could live with that.
> My question to those who already have an M8 is this: I assume the camera
> has a "sleep mode" it goes into when the controls have not been used for
> x minutes. Every digital camera I have ever handled has this feature.
> The camera than presumably "wakes up" when the shutter is lightly
> pressed. How long does it take the M8 to be ready when it wakes up in
> this manner?

I tested start up time: it was less than a second from camera off to ready
to shoot. There is NO WAY I could frame and focus an image faster than the
M8 starts up from off or sleep. I was delighted, but you may be more
demanding than 0.7 sec ;-)

Alastair

Replies: Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Re: M8 issues and a question (WAS: Sonny's M5))
Message from harrison at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] Sonny's M5)