Subject: [Leica] M8: "I think it's going to be all right" - transposed to Canon, Nikon, etc. etc.
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sat Nov 18 07:07:42 2006

So it's "going to be alright."
People will "work through the problems."
People will make the camera work by putting IR filters on their lenses.

This leaves me wondering several things:
1. How do people feel about the fact that Leica shipped the M8 knowing that
the camera was defective, and can not accurately record colors under
certain, common situations because of the way it is designed?

2. How do people feel about the fact that certain reviewers, upon whom they
depend - and I am NOT referring to any members of this list - were aware of
the defect and, at the request of the company, withheld mention of it in
their rave reviews?

3. How do people feel about the fact that Leica is not recalling the cameras
to make a real fix, but instead will require owners to purchase filters, at
their own expense, to "fix" the problem? (And remember, if you have a number
of lenses, you undoubtedly require a number of filter sizes, unless you're
going to screw around with adapters, which means you could easily be adding
$1000 to the cost of the camera.)

4. What would the people on this list be saying if Canon, Nikon, Olympus,
Fuji, etc., did something like this? Would they be saying, 'no big deal.
It's a great camera and all it takes is a little working through the
problems, or would they be saying, 'what do you expect of those big Japanese
companies with their Chinese manufactured, mass-produced crap? Thank God
Leica doesn't do things like that!'

5. What happened to the theory - espoused in what I'd guess have been
literally thousands of posts over the years, that it's heretical to invest
in Leica glass to then turn around and slap another piece of glass - even if
made by Leica - in front of the lens?

And before you say 'there you go again, damning the camera you haven't even
held, let alone seen,' take a deep breath, and recall that even corporate
Leica is acknowledging the problems with the camera; consider that there
have now been any number of purchasers and even reviewers raising the
quality question about the camera. And also keep in mind that if one has
just plunked down $4800 dollars for a camera, when raising that $4800 may
have required selling one's beloved film Ms, one is likely to do one's
damndest to avoid 'seeing' color casts and other problems.

So forget who's asking these questions - or what my evil motivation may be -
and consider them; they're not illogical questions.

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] M8: "I think it's going to be all right" - transposed to Canon, Nikon, etc. etc.)
Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] M8: "I think it's going to be all right" - transposed to Canon, Nikon, etc. etc.)
Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Taste of Nepal)
Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] M8: "I think it's going to be all right" - transposed to Canon, Nikon, etc. etc.)